[GNC] Trustworthy easy way to install gnucash 3.5 on ubuntu?

Stephen M. Butler kg7je at arrl.net
Sun May 19 12:36:56 EDT 2019

On 5/18/19 9:45 PM, Tommy Trussell wrote:
> One small wrinkle MIGHT be that the original poster (Nathan T. Alexander)
> is running Ubuntu 16.04 -- from April 2016 -- and although it's an LTS
> release and technically continues to be supported by Ubuntu, there may be
> some additional touches needed to get a more recent version of GnuCash to
> compile on a operating system that old.
>
> P.S.: I hope several of the persons learning the intricacies of building
> GnuCash can learn enough to help make .dsc (Debian source package) versions
> for various OS revisions, instead of simply distributing the built
> packages.  For years we have been relying upon a single Debian volunteer
> who packages GnuCash for Debian and he has requested help. In case folks
> don't know, Debian packages mostly filter "downstream" to all the
> derivative distributions (such as Ubuntu, Mint, etc.) that use the apt
> package system.
>
> With an appropriate .dsc package, anyone can use the package building
> commands "The Debian Way," which generates the compiled packages locally,
> ready to install using the apt package manager.
>
> Furthermore, putting a .dsc and a source tarball into an Ubuntu PPA allows
> Ubuntu's build systems to generate the packages for multiple Ubuntu
> releases without further intervention, and ANYONE can easily download the
> compiled packages from there.

Based on this, let me make a general call for anybody who knows how to
package for Launchpad (hosting a PPA).  Please get in touch with me as
that is my long-term goal.  However, I learn slowly and have a bunch of
other projects on my plate (including removing a bunch of trees from my
property this summer).

My goal for this past winter was to learn C++.  I've glanced at the book
twice!!  Somebody more knowledgeable than me willing to hit the ground
running?

--Steve

--
Stephen M Butler, PMP, PSM