[GNC] Trustworthy easy way to install gnucash 3.5 on ubuntu?

Tommy Trussell tommy.trussell at gmail.com
Sun May 19 00:45:53 EDT 2019

One small wrinkle MIGHT be that the original poster (Nathan T. Alexander)
is running Ubuntu 16.04 -- from April 2016 -- and although it's an LTS
release and technically continues to be supported by Ubuntu, there may be
some additional touches needed to get a more recent version of GnuCash to
compile on a operating system that old.

P.S.: I hope several of the persons learning the intricacies of building
GnuCash can learn enough to help make .dsc (Debian source package) versions
for various OS revisions, instead of simply distributing the built
packages.  For years we have been relying upon a single Debian volunteer
who packages GnuCash for Debian and he has requested help. In case folks
don't know, Debian packages mostly filter "downstream" to all the
derivative distributions (such as Ubuntu, Mint, etc.) that use the apt
package system.

With an appropriate .dsc package, anyone can use the package building
commands "The Debian Way," which generates the compiled packages locally,
ready to install using the apt package manager.

Furthermore, putting a .dsc and a source tarball into an Ubuntu PPA allows
Ubuntu's build systems to generate the packages for multiple Ubuntu
releases without further intervention, and ANYONE can easily download the
compiled packages from there.