[GNC] Upcoming report deprecation

Geert Janssens geert.gnucash at kobaltwit.be
Fri May 24 08:34:20 EDT 2019

Op vrijdag 24 mei 2019 02:49:10 CEST schreef Frank H. Ellenberger:
> Because these reports are translated, they serve also as a fallback
> for the missing translation of the incomplete documentation as they
> show a few aspects of what can be done with reports.

I'm not sure I understand what you're trying to convey here. Can you clarify
what you mean ?

Fwiw I have looked over the strings in these reports:
The daily reports has 4 strings that are unique to the report. Those are the
names of the reports and a short description.
In addition it has two strings it only shares with average-balance.scm
(related to showing subaccounts). I believe those should actually be aligned
with the other reports. They are not unique to these two reports, only
slightly formulated differently.
The average balance report adds 17 unique strings of which two are for the
report title and description and most others are for options specific to this
report. Of those again a number sound very similar to options in other reports
and can likely be aligned.
hello-world.scm probably does add the most unique strings, though most of them
are translations of things you'll need to understand in English anyway to
effectively write a custom report ("text option", "multi-column option",...).
The programming world unfortunately is very biased towards English. Function
names are almost always based on English terms. So I have my doubts on the
merits of translating those strings.

> When I played around decades ago with gnucash they had a promotional
> and a didactical use for me.
> Without them I had probaly choosen a different product, because the
> standard reports with their default setting were very US-GAAP
> oriented. And the examples told me it should be possible to get
> something conforming DE-GOB.

This part interests me more. I am curious now which report(s) exactly you are
referring to here ?

Geert