[GNC] Upcoming report deprecation

Geert Janssens geert.gnucash at kobaltwit.be
Fri May 24 08:41:01 EDT 2019

Op vrijdag 24 mei 2019 02:49:10 CEST schreef Frank H. Ellenberger:
> Am Do., 23. Mai 2019 um 22:26 Uhr schrieb Geert Janssens
> > People that still want these reports can install them as explained in our
> > Custom Reports wiki page [1].
>
> That is ways to complicated and
> where is the translation of that page to our over 50 supported languages?

I appreciate localization is your point of attention. However I take missing
translations as an unfair objection. This is akin to asking to drop all
undocumented features precisely because they lack documentation/translations.
More in general I don't think it's realistic to block change just because it
would require new documentation or translations.
Keep in mind we're assuming the reports are not used (and other than your
testimony there has been noone else so far claiming they have used or still
use them). So it's not like we're asking everyone to jump through several
hoops.

As to the complexity of adding such a report, yes it's more complex.

My ideal solution would have been this:
- we provide an online repository with user contributed reports, similar to
how kde-look or gnome-look websites host themes or wallpapers for their
respective desktops
- in gnucash you integrate an interface to this repository such that a user
can browse available reports and install those that interest them.

Unfortunately I don't have time to implement this.
And I want to balance the work to spend on that against the general use of
these reports. For popular reports such effort could pay off though popular
reports would likely get included in the main code instead. So far it looks
like the reports we talk about are hardly used if at all.

But I'll wait some more for feedback from other lists.

Regards,

Geert