[GNC] Xcode project/buildable non X11 Mac version?

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Mon May 27 12:49:25 EDT 2019

> On May 27, 2019, at 9:33 AM, kentsor <aa at snak.com> wrote:
>
> Much as I'd like to use a QB alternative, as a Mac user I can not stand
> looking at GNUCash as it is now. The UI is staggeringly bad. The money I
> save is not worth using this.
>
> There must have been attempts by other Mac people to replace the UI in the
> past. Most likely abandoned years ago so it'd be old versions but that's ok,
> my accounting needs are straightforward. Where can I go to download (dare I
> hope) an old Xcode project for an UI replacement for GNUCash ?

No, no one has ever undertaken a MacOS-native UI for GnuCash. One of the core developers sketched out a QT one, covering only the basics, as an experiment a few years ago. The code is still present and I think working in the 2.6 series. You can use CMake to generate an Xcode project if you're averse to compiling on the command line. See https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Cutecash. Mind, it will look different from the Gtk UI that the distributed GnuCash uses, but it still won't look native.

Regards,
John Ralls