[GNC] Setting up existing investments in new GnuCash file

Dean Bradley no1clashfan at mailbox.org
Sun Nov 3 19:02:10 EST 2019

Hello!,
I am a long-time (25+ years)_ trying to finish my conversion to Linux. I am setting up GnuCash 3.7 on Manjaro KDE 18.1.2. I am not  importing my Quicken history, and am starting with a new file. The task at hand is setting up my brokerage account and its holdings. There are 30 securities in this account; a mix of cash, cash alternatives, funds and stocks. Following are some questions about this.

Can I import my holdings from a CSV file into GnuCash?
I have exported my holdings to a CSV file, but it does not appear that any of the CSV import options are designed for importing holdings. "Import Accounts as CSV" seems the most appropriate option, but the constraints on that import file (must match the format of an export) don't match my CSV input file at all. I've also looked at the Price import, but it doesn't capture much of the information (e.g. quantity, description). And Import as Transactions just seem wrong.

in the absence of an import, it appears I must go through the multi-step (15-20) process defined in Section 9 of the documentation for each account/security (define account, define security, define opening balance), for each of my 30 accounts? Is this correct? Is there any valid shortcut to this cumbersome approach?

Assuming I have to manually define each account /security...
Is it correct that I define my current holding (shares and price) as the opening balance for each account, using the register?
I can export transactions from my brokerage as a QFX file. Once this is all setup, will I be able to maintain this hierarchy of accounts under the brokerage parent by importing QFX files?

I appreciate any help and guidance you can give me. I'd really like to complete my migration to Linux, and getting this sorted out seems the hardest part of the process.

Thanks,and regards,
~dean~