[GNC] Setting up existing investments in new GnuCash file

David Cousens davidcousens at bigpond.com
Sun Nov 3 20:12:02 EST 2019

Dean,

It should be possible to use either the Import QIF, Import OFX/QFX, Import
Transactions from CSV options depending on the format you have exported them
in. I haven't used the QIF import for stock information so I can't really
comment on it.

The CSV importer was largely rewritten going to V3 and the documentation has
not yet fully caught up. I have imported stock transactions exported from
GnuCash using the default GnuCash Export Format with the Simple Layout
export option switched off (It outputs only a single line per transaction in
Simple Layout mode ( not enough info)- the multiline exports a line for each
account entry (split) associated with the transaction).

The easiest way to get a handle on the export format is to export a
transaction which is similar to the transactions you wish to import to get a
handle on the exported columns.

The critical information will be the account information for each split the
amount (the importer uses a Deposit or Withdrawal label for this rather than
Debit and Credit ) and the price data. Columns like the transaction ID are
not critical as they will be recreated on import if not present. The closer
you can get the data you want to import to the default GnuCash Export format
the easier importing data with price information will be.  In some testing
of the importer I found the export format often created the price in the
form of a rational number and on some occasions that was not interpreted
correctly on import. I am in the process of creating some examples of
importing for the tutorial guide but have been sidetracked by life a bit
lately and haven't really fully systematicall tested stock and currency
type imports.

The documentation in progress is a little bit hard to access as not all of
it has been pushed to the main GnuCash/gnucash github repository yet. I
should be able to rebuild the branch I have been working on and post a link
to a copy in my Dropbox account later today.

David Cousens

-----
David Cousens