[GNC] expense problem

Adrien Monteleone adrien.monteleone at lusfiber.net
Mon Nov 4 20:10:47 EST 2019

What was the opposite (debit) side of the transaction when you recorded the receipt of the gift card?

That same account should have been the credit side of each expense transaction. (the debit side being the actual expense)

If you are using the Basic view - either show the splits for this info on that transaction, or turn on Transaction Journal View or Auto-Split View from the View Menu.

I usually record my gift cards as you did as gifts received, with the debit side of that to an Assets:Current-Assets:Pre-Paid Cards:xyz account, where ‘xyz’ is the store or type of card. This allows me to keep those cards organized and see at a glance what balance I have on each. When I spend using the card, that is where the funds come from. (the credit side of the expense transaction)

Regards,
Adrien