[GNC] Export Report Issue: "There is no disk in the drive." I must click Continue 21 Times !

Michael or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at comcast.net
Wed Nov 6 19:38:45 EST 2019

On 11/6/2019 6:54 PM, Fran_3 via gnucash-user wrote:
> Running GC3.7 on Win7 Pro. Here is the issue
>
> When I click File > Export > Export Report
> I get a popup message...
>

> "There is no disk in the drive. Please insert a disk into drive \Device\Harddisk9\DR-9"

This isn't QUITE a gnucash problem, you'd have it with any "save as"
type of operation. Which is why you are also having this problem trying
to save PDFs.

When you export from gnucash you will be supplying a name and a
directory (aka "file folder"). In other words, a PATH.  There will
already be SOME path currently there (maybe from the last time you did a
"save as" type of operation) but this is almost certainly not where you
want the export to put things.

In other words, you will want to be supplying that path (choosing that
folder)

The "error" message you saw was because although there was a path
specified, it is one not currently/no longer valid (say referring to a
mountable device that is not currently mounted). It is telling you that
you DON'T have a "\Device\Harddisk9\DR-9". You want to be specifying a
path that you DO have.

You are on Windows7? Do you know where your Documents folder is? In
Documents create a subfolder with a name like "gnucash reports". See
what the full path to that is? Try specifying THAT path when you do the
File > Export > Report operation. While you are at this, you might as
well create a subfolder for those PDFs.

Michael D Novack