[GNC] Creating profiles for mapped accounts

M. Rizwan Muzzammil m.rizwan at gmail.com
Sun Nov 17 21:34:19 EST 2019

Hello all,

I am using the import transactions feature to import sales data into
gnucash.

This works brilliantly. If you do it once then gnucash recognizes the same
account descriptions with subsequent imports and automatically remaps
correctly.

Currently I have two sources of sales data (e-commerce stuff), one which I
import more frequently and one less. Both data sets have similar account
descriptions but they are not identical, for example one might say 'coupon
US' and the other 'coupon UK'.

My problem is that gnucash makes errors in remapping when I switch.
Sometimes the US transaction gets mistaken for a UK transaction. I have to
go through the multiple accounts affected and adjust manually.

I am guessing this is because the account descriptions are MOSTLY similar,
and gnucash chooses a partial match even though a full match may also be
present. I do not know why it does this.

So my question is, is there a way I can explicitly switch mapped accounts
for the data type (US or UK) using profiles, rather than let gnucash guess
for me?

If not then i guess a possible remedy is prepping my data better before
import. I use Excel VBA to organize the data correctly, but perhaps
modifying the description by adding some sort of prefix is a potential
method.

Appreciate any advice.

Rizwan