[GNC] Archiving transactions

D sunfish62 at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 17 22:20:55 EST 2019

Rizwan,

I am intrigued. You say you're a new user, but you have 500,000 transactions. Wow!

You've been getting the usual kinds of responses to your question: how fast is your computer, how many reports are you running, be patient, don't close Gnucash, etc.

But it sounds as if you're pushing boundaries that most of us personal/small business users aren't. For example, my data file loads and runs pretty well. It covers over ten years of transactions, and the last time I checked, it was around 200,000 transactions all told. It may be that you are an outlier user who tests the functional limits of Gnucash.

One major issue that has long been known is that the software is not built to think like a database app. It loads the entire data file into memory on start up. It does this even with the SQL back ends, which is a roundabout way to tell you that changing to a database back end won't help at this time, sadly.

I see that you had another query about transaction imports that suggests that you have some programming experience. Many of us would cheer if you were to put that experience to work helping the small development team. One really big area they are looking at is the migration of Gnucash to a true db app--a long term goal, to be sure, since there are so many immediate issues that need to be addressed.

Cheers,
David T.