[GNC] Locked out of gnucash

Derek Atkins derek at ihtfp.com
Mon Nov 18 09:29:47 EST 2019

Hi,

I think I have a suggestion for some better wording.  See below.

David Carlson <david.carlson.417 at gmail.com> writes:

> I think a better and more accurate wording would be "The data file has not
> been cleanly closed since it was last opened.  If you are sure that it was
> not opened by another user, click 'Open Anyway'.  Otherwise click one of
> the other options."

How about:

The data file is currently in use.  Most likely this means that the data
file was not cleanly closed (due to a crash) after it was last opened.
If you are sure that it is not currently in use by you or another user,
click "Open Anyway".  Otherwise, click one of the other options.

Note to devs: does it make sense to put the gnucash PID into the lock
file and then check to see if that PID is currently running?  That could
help detect whether there is a current process or a crash/unclean
shutdown?

> To me the important part is that the data file has not been cleanly closed,
> which is the real reason that the lock file exists.  There may be better
> words to use as long as this idea is incorporated.

I suppose that is one way to interpret it, as "currently in use".

> David Carlson

       Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745