[GNC] Moving from Sage Accounting and would like to keep sub-account totals viewable

Adrien Monteleone adrien.monteleone at lusfiber.net
Mon Nov 18 11:48:33 EST 2019

David,

GnuCash can show you the balance of a parent account as two different things on reports and in the CoA:

1. Actual balance of the account (sum of debits and credits in that one account)
2. The sum of the balances of each of the child accounts (what Derek called ‘roll-up’)

Running/rolling balances are just the current sum of the account’s debits and credits. (the balance of the account)

GnuCash can also show parent accounts as their actual balance on reports (#1 above) *and* add sub-total lines after the listing of all child accounts. (so you get both options together - this would be useful for when a parent account is *not* a placeholder and has its own transactions)

Regards,
Adrien