[GNC] Moving from Sage Accounting and would like to keep sub-account totals viewable

Derek Atkins derek at ihtfp.com
Mon Nov 25 10:16:06 EST 2019

Hi David,

David Carlson <david.carlson.417 at gmail.com> writes:

> Derek,
>
> If what you call a rolling balance is what I call a running balance,  then I
> think that the account register view will show that when it is sorted in
> chronological order.  In fact, as others have already noted, you can see that
> in your top level accounts.  Where you won't see it is in mixed commodity/
> mixed currency cases such as stock brokerage accounts or other mixed currency
> accounts. For those cases it is necessary to use a report that can evaluate
> appropriate exchange rates.

Yes, rolling/running balance.  However, while there is a balance column
being displayed, it might not show the *correct* balance because each
split shown has a precomputed balance for the actual account it is tied
to.  This balance is recomputed whenever a split in the account is
modified.  However, it is NOT computed in real-time for display.

So when you do a "Open Subaccounts" view, it is not recomputing the
balance including everything, but rather it is still showing the
pre-computed balance of the split's account balance for that split.

It *MAY* look correct at some points in time, but in general, no, it is
not.

> David Carlson

-derek

--
       Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745