[GNC] A question on loans

David Cousens davidcousens at bigpond.com
Wed Nov 20 17:48:39 EST 2019

Mark,

My apologies , I thought your question referred to recording the current
value of your property. If your accountant is getting the bank statements,
to catch your personal copy of the accounts up you will need to obtain
copies of the bank statements either from him or the bank, if you do not
have them already.

Your bank may alsooffer  online access to records or offer a download of
records in OFX or a similar format (my bank provides this facility for the
past 7 years) in which case you can import the OFX files and then reconcile
them against your statements (I have had errors on importing on rare
occasions - transactions may be duplicated in the records for your bank
account and loan account for example and imported twice although GNuCash
will try to identify duplicates) which is quicker than entering them by hand
from the statements.

GnuCash has a number of import data formats ( see the GnuCash Tutoria and
Concepts Guide
(https://www.gnucash.org/docs/v3/C/gnucash-guide/chapter_importing.html) or
the Help manual
https://www.gnucash.org/docs/v3/C/gnucash-help/trans-import.html. There is
currently a lot of duplication here as the material in the Guide has been
largely already beenmoved to the Help manual and I am in the process of
rewriting the Guide section as import examples. I have found OFX to be the
most relaible as it has a fairly tight standard and CSV to be more
problematical because it has no real standard. QIF is generally OK as well.
In most cases start with small data sets (e.g month) first to sort out any
importing difficulties and train the import matcher then increase the
dataset size once you have it working reliably.

Another possibility is that your accountant (for a fee of course) may be
able to provide you with exported transactions from his records if he has
entered them digitally.

David Cousens

-----
David Cousens