[GNC] (no subject)

Gilberto Reis Filho gilberto.reis.filho at gmail.com
Wed Nov 27 07:49:55 EST 2019

Dear all. I am a long time GnuCash user (10+ years) and I use it to
track my personal finances.

The question I have is more related to accounting principles (I am no
accountant) and how specific situations should be recorded to comply
with "standards". I know there are no standards for personal finances
but what I am looking for is how people treat specific situations and
the general consensus (if there is any).

Situation 1
Tracking mutual funds (or other investments that rely on prices and
quantities) for a long time sometimes cause small diferences in
balances (presumably caused by rounding limitations) that I want to
correct. To correct those balances I either do a credit or debit
transaction to the investment account to adjust the balance. At the
other side of the transaction, in this case, should I credit or debit
an expense/revenue account or an equity account?

Situation 2
Sometimes there are errors in statements I receive (the nature of the
specific errors are not relevant to the discussion) and that causes
balance differences either in assets or liabilities accounts that I
would like to correct recording an adjustment transaction. At the
other side of the adjustment transaction should I credit or debit an
expense/revenue account or an equity account?

I tend to put an equity account at the other side of the adjustment
transaction on the above situations because I am correcting an error
and not actually generating revenue or expense, however I am uncertain
if this teh adequate way of recording adjustment transactions.

Thank you all for any comments.