[GNC] How can I add statement balances to my accounts as checks?

Adrien Monteleone adrien.monteleone at lusfiber.net
Wed Oct 2 11:21:27 EDT 2019

That would involve specifying a period to reconcile for and would require a major re-write of that code.

It also would be quite a mess because the real world doesn’t work that neatly.

What should the software (and the user) do when Uncle Joe finally deposits that check you wrote him 4 months ago for his vintage record player he had at a garage sale and it appears on this month's bank statement?

This is (one reason) why software is hard. The larger the user base, the more use cases have to be considered when making changes. GnuCash is used world-wide. At some point, it can’t be all things to all people, so the devs have to decide what they want the software to do, and then pare that down according to how much time they have to implement it.

Regards,
Adrien