[GNC] How can I add statement balances to my accounts as checks?

Adrien Monteleone adrien.monteleone at lusfiber.net
Mon Oct 7 15:15:45 EDT 2019

> On Oct 7, 2019 w41d280, at 12:05 PM, Fred Bone <Fred.Bone at dial.pipex.com> wrote:
>
> On 06 October 2019 at 7:48, armanschwarz said:
>
>> Adrien Monteleone-2 wrote
>>> Software can’t fix you. Only you can fix you. You shouldn’t do the
>>> reconciliation till you have time not to rush it. The software won’t
>>> explode if you don’t reconcile by a certain date.
>>
>> Yeah I fundamentally disagree with this, almost at a philosophical level.
>> If we take the view that mistakes are symptomatic of broken users we'll
>> never make software that's actually useful to anyone.
>>
>> I also think there's a bit of irony as you seem to be suggesting that in
>> order to use a feature designed to correct for human errors, we should
>> just not make human errors. I don't get it.
>
> No-one is suggesting that. Reconciliation is about detecting / correcting
> differences between two different sets of records.

Precisely. I was not suggesting humans are or should be infallible, but that software can help you find mistakes, not prevent you from making them, especially in light of a rush to rubber stamp through such a process like reconciliation. (the antithesis of what that process is about) If that is the user’s desired workflow, they could really skip reconciliation because not only is it then unlikely to serve much if any purpose, it will engender a false sense of ‘correctness’ in the books that likely won’t be there, precisely because it was done incorrectly with the wrong end-result or purpose in mind.