[GNC] Gnucash on MacOs Catalina

GWB gwb at 2realms.com
Thu Oct 10 22:48:09 EDT 2019

Chronosync is another app that needed some work to integrate smoothly
with Catalina.  This excerpt from their email to users explains:

<<
The Catalina Split
Catalina introduces a new APFS feature called ‘Volume Groups’. Under
Catalina, Apple takes advantage of this ability and splits the boot
volume into two components: System and Data. The System volume is
read-only and contains all the operating system files that should
never change during use of the computer. The Data volume contains
everything else, including the user’s home folders. Through a new
Apple feature known as firmlinks, the two volumes are linked together
to appear as one volume to the user, so you will only see one drive on
your Mac. However, there really are two distinct boot volumes mounted.
You can see the two volumes using Disk Utility or by mounting the
drive on an older macOS. If running a bootable backup, we strongly
recommend starting fresh with a new backup volume and not to copy over
your old bootable backup volume. Read the ChronoSync Catalina Tech
Note for all the details.

This may have no relevance at all, but if your version of GnuCash
"needs" to alter a specific file in the System folder (which is
doubtful, but possible) Catalina may be using a "hard link" instead of
the underlying file.  The devs would know.

I'm not sure, but it looks like Apple is re-inventing the old LVM and
calling it something different.  It's usually good to separate boot OS
from data (Unix welcomes Apple to 1998!), but this might not be the
way to do it.  Better to just mount them in separate LVM
containers/volumes, and snapshot them.

What type of CPU does system information report on your mac?  The
error message "Bad CPU type in executable" might be Catalina seeing a
CPU call from GnuCash (amd64 bit i7, usually) as something else.

Gordon