[GNC] Gnucash on MacOs Catalina

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Thu Oct 10 23:30:34 EDT 2019

Cool it with the wild speculation.

FYI I've been running GnuCash 3.5, 3.6, and 3.7 on Catalina since the first developer beta in early June with no issues at all.

I suspect from the error messages that the OP is trying to run GnuCash 2.6.x. Those were built as 32-bit apps to support MacOS 10.5 and 10.6. Catalina won't run 32-bit apps. That's why I asked the OP what version of GnuCash they're trying to run.

Regards,
John Ralls

> On Oct 10, 2019, at 7:48 PM, GWB <gwb at 2realms.com> wrote:
>
> Chronosync is another app that needed some work to integrate smoothly
> with Catalina.  This excerpt from their email to users explains:
>
> <<
> The Catalina Split
> Catalina introduces a new APFS feature called ‘Volume Groups’. Under
> Catalina, Apple takes advantage of this ability and splits the boot
> volume into two components: System and Data. The System volume is
> read-only and contains all the operating system files that should
> never change during use of the computer. The Data volume contains
> everything else, including the user’s home folders. Through a new
> Apple feature known as firmlinks, the two volumes are linked together
> to appear as one volume to the user, so you will only see one drive on
> your Mac. However, there really are two distinct boot volumes mounted.
> You can see the two volumes using Disk Utility or by mounting the
> drive on an older macOS. If running a bootable backup, we strongly
> recommend starting fresh with a new backup volume and not to copy over
> your old bootable backup volume. Read the ChronoSync Catalina Tech
> Note for all the details.
>>>

> This may have no relevance at all, but if your version of GnuCash
> "needs" to alter a specific file in the System folder (which is
> doubtful, but possible) Catalina may be using a "hard link" instead of
> the underlying file.  The devs would know.
>
> I'm not sure, but it looks like Apple is re-inventing the old LVM and
> calling it something different.  It's usually good to separate boot OS
> from data (Unix welcomes Apple to 1998!), but this might not be the
> way to do it.  Better to just mount them in separate LVM
> containers/volumes, and snapshot them.
>
> What type of CPU does system information report on your mac?  The
> error message "Bad CPU type in executable" might be Catalina seeing a
> CPU call from GnuCash (amd64 bit i7, usually) as something else.
>
> Gordon
>
> On Wed, Oct 9, 2019 at 10:19 PM John Ralls <jralls at ceridwen.us> wrote:
>>

>>> On Oct 9, 2019, at 1:09 PM, gnucash at pelchar.no-ip.org wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I'm having trouble starting gnucash on Catalina. Here's the message I get
>>> from the command line:
>>>
>>> /Volumes/Macintosh HD/Applications/Gnucash.app/Contents/MacOS/Gnucash: line
>>> 95: /Volumes/Macintosh
>>> HD/Applications/Gnucash.app/Contents/MacOS/Gnucash-bin: Bad CPU type in