[GNC] Understanding Transaction Report options

George Riner GeorgeRiner at mycogeo.com
Wed Oct 16 12:19:28 EDT 2019

(Using GnuCash 3.7.1 on Windows 10)

I approach the Transaction Report options for "Accounts" and "Filter
By..." as a sort of 2-dimensional thing.  Down the rows are the incomes
and expenses that I want reported (sorta like Quicken's old
'categories') and across the columns are the accounts that I used to pay
for those expenses (credit cards, checking accounts, cash, etc.)

What I find unfortunate in this regard is that both "Accounts..." and
"Filter By..." lists are unaffected by account type.  All my accounts
are listed in alphabetical order by my Account Name and this has the
effect of jumbling up expense accounts and income accounts with banking
and credit card accounts, making it necessary to have to scroll through
each list and pick out the particular accounts for each 'dimension' I
use.  Since I sometimes decide to create a new income or expense account
to track some activity I'm doing, or I get a new credit card - when I
run a saved report later - I have to remember to scroll through both
"Accounts..." and "Filter By..." to add the new accounts to each lists'
selections before running the report.

Because of this, I've been tempted to reorganize my COA so that I only
have a handful of 'top' accounts and everything else is subaccounts.
E.g. I'd have a top level of 'Expenses', a top level of 'Incomes', a top
level of 'Bank accounts' and 'Credit cards', etc.  I could also then
create a top level account for 'Archived' and move accounts I no longer
use under that top level.   Then I simply select "Expenses" and
"Incomes" in the "Accounts" list and then click 'Select Children' and in
the 'Filter By...' list I select 'Credit Cards' and 'Bank Accounts' and
click 'Select Children' and I'm done.

:George