[GNC] Understanding Transaction Report options

Adrien Monteleone adrien.monteleone at lusfiber.net
Wed Oct 16 12:38:21 EDT 2019

> On Oct 16, 2019 w42d289, at 11:19 AM, George Riner <GeorgeRiner at mycogeo.com> wrote:
>
> (Using GnuCash 3.7.1 on Windows 10)
>
> I approach the Transaction Report options for "Accounts" and "Filter By..." as a sort of 2-dimensional thing.  Down the rows are the incomes and expenses that I want reported (sorta like Quicken's old 'categories') and across the columns are the accounts that I used to pay for those expenses (credit cards, checking accounts, cash, etc.)
>
> What I find unfortunate in this regard is that both "Accounts..." and "Filter By..." lists are unaffected by account type.  All my accounts are listed in alphabetical order by my Account Name and this has the effect of jumbling up expense accounts and income accounts with banking and credit card accounts, making it necessary to have to scroll through each list and pick out the particular accounts for each 'dimension' I use.  Since I sometimes decide to create a new income or expense account to track some activity I'm doing, or I get a new credit card - when I run a saved report later - I have to remember to scroll through both "Accounts..." and "Filter By..." to add the new accounts to each lists' selections before running the report.

My accounts in report options are all grouped just like they are on my CoA tab, by type. Not sure how you ended up in that situation. (using 3.7 on MacOS)

> Because of this, I've been tempted to reorganize my COA so that I only have a handful of 'top' accounts and everything else is subaccounts. E.g. I'd have a top level of 'Expenses', a top level of 'Incomes', a top level of 'Bank accounts' and 'Credit cards', etc.  I could also then create a top level account for 'Archived' and move accounts I no longer use under that top level.   Then I simply select "Expenses" and "Incomes" in the "Accounts" list and then click 'Select Children' and in the 'Filter By...' list I select 'Credit Cards' and 'Bank Accounts' and click 'Select Children' and I'm done.
>
> :George

That’s how GnuCash organizes accounts from the outset. Did you create *all* of your individual accounts as ’top level’?

That might be why you are seeing that mess in report Options. (and on the CoA tab)

Also, no need to create an ‘archive’ level. You can just hide inactive accounts. That way, they stay where they belong in the account tree and you can make them visible when needed.

It is rare to need top level accounts other than the basics. (Assets, Liabilities, Income, Expense, Equity)

Regards,
Adrien