[GNC] GnuCash v2.6.19-1 has started freezing on Ubuntu 18.04 after a recent system update

Parke parke.nexus at gmail.com
Thu Oct 17 23:09:24 EDT 2019

On Thu, Oct 17, 2019 at 12:53 PM Adrien Monteleone
<adrien.monteleone at lusfiber.net> wrote:
> try: `man free`

I already read parts of `man free`.  It did not explain to me what on
my system was using the RAM reported as being `used`.

> But try `free` without `-h` so you see the output in bytes and do the above equation by hand. You should see every byte is accounted for.

The numbers add up.  I just cannot tell what is using the `used`
memory.  It is not being used (as far as I can tell) by any of the
programs listed by `top`.

> Do you get any errors or warnings when running GnuCash from the command line?

No errors.

> Did you manage to examine the tracefile after a crash/hang?

My apologies, but I do not know how to reliably reproduce the freeze.
(It can take 10 to 60 minutes of working with GnuCash until a freeze
occurs.)  I do not have the time at present to investigate further.  I
reported this issue primarily to create a record in case other people
encounter the same issue in the future.

I expect to either switch to Ubuntu 19.10, or to install a newer
version of GnuCash via flatpack.  If thereafter I again encounter the
freeze, I will provide additional updates.

Thanks again for all your assistance.  I do appreciate it.

-Parke