[GNC] Can not insert text on transaction after import QIF

dmeece dmeece12 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 18 14:06:37 EDT 2019

Tax season is over , now back to the original problem of having on 3.7
version on my LM 19.2 box and by necessity, a Windows 10 box.  I reviewed
all of David Cousens notes and suggestions.  I spent any series of hours
spanning days, rooting out all known locations where gnucash may have been
installed via snynaptic, flatpak, stickylife ppa or deb installer.  They
were spread around.  Today I felt accomplished enough with the cleanup/purge
that I got a fresh fresh download of ver 3.7 and followed the procedure
outline by David.  This time I went for an install in the /usr/local
locations and basically followed his procedures to the letter.  I used his
dependency script also because I noted a number of dependencies that are not
on the “official website dependencies”.  One small change to the script I
made was that that I found LM 19.2 does not recognize “libsecret-1-0-dev”.
In the snynaptic, I found the whole sequence for the libsecret goup and just
select to manually installed libsecret-1-dev.  I setup the build directories
and ran it in the latest cmake version available.  This time round I used
the Kitware ppa (developers of cmake) and allowed two updates in the last
month without any errors.  I felt I had a good installer this time.

Cmake did compile and “make file” with absolutely no errors showing
whatsoever.  Thought I had a winner, but alas, fired up the executable via
the terminal I got a pile of errors and I was back to the force close action
I had a month ago. I’ve attached a Gdb debug error message.  The trace fie
did not work there was nothing in the file The full error msg ran for over
10 pages – I have to assume the same error was running over and over.

In the Debug, shows errors just as soon as the program was booting up.  In
essence there were about 10 pages of errors all relating to “bad header in
object file”, ie in the C files an object library is not working correctly.
The trace at the end of the file initially contained a host of issues with
guile2.0.  So I tried to add guile 2.2 libraries to this with its GoObjects
libraries – still no joy and no change in error code.  There are a number of
honorable mentions in the file that contain words like “gnome util,
libgtk-3, libobjects-2”, etc.  I’m going to try to put this up on the
bugzilla also to see what the developers have to say about it.

Incidentally as to the original inquiry about the transportability of QIF
importing from Win 10 ver 3.7 back to Linuxmint ver 2.19, all was well.
Error rate was minor, about 5 corrections per 1000 transactions.  Editing
was OK in the ver 2.19 and the file trip back to the Win 10 ver 3.7 for
reporting purposes came off without a hitch.
I've uploaded the debug below - hopefully it make its.

DebugGdb_Gnucash3.txt
<http://gnucash.1415818.n4.nabble.com/file/t378750/DebugGdb_Gnucash3.txt>