[GNC] Backporting Gnucash 3.7 to Ubuntu "Bionic" (or Mint, etc.)

Stephen M. Butler kg7je at arrl.net
Thu Oct 24 13:47:17 EDT 2019

On 10/18/19 8:47 AM, Tommy Trussell wrote:
> <<snip>>
> IN THE MEANTIME, if you urgently want 3.7 on your system, here's a
> procedure that worked for me. I apologize if I've omitted any steps.
> (Likely! Please let me know.)
>
> REQUIREMENTS
> An Ubuntu Bionic (or derived) installation with bionic-backports activated
> and the source code lines activated. To verify, open the Software and
> Updates tool, and look in the Ubuntu Software tab to activate "Source code"
> and the Updates tab to verify "bionic-backports" is active. Close the
> Software & Updates window and let it update the cache.
>
> PROCEDURE
>
> 1) Install the needed development files.
>
>   $ sudo apt install build-essentials devscripts

build-essential   (no s on the end).  I also had to add 'equivs'

I was doing this in the schroot -c source:bionic-amd64 -u root.  So
didn't need (couldn't use) sudo.

>   $ sudo apt build-dep gnucash
I also had to do mk-build-deps -ir debian/control from my gnucash
folder.  That's why I needed 'equivs'
>   $ sudo apt install debhelper/bionic-backports
>
> (The first command should pull in lots of packages needed for building
> sortware. The second should bring in lots more specific packages for
> building GnuCash. The last command pulls an upgraded version of debhelper
> from the backports repository.)
>
> 2) Create a source directory
>
>   $ mkdir bionic37
>   $ cd bionic37
>
> 3) Get the latest Ubuntu package.
>
>   $ dget
> http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/universe/g/gnucash/gnucash_3.7-1ubuntu1.dsc
I have cloned the git repository and have checked out 3.7 into the
gnucash folder.
> <<snip>>
>
> 6) Build the package.
>
>   $ dpkg-buildpackage
my version that works when not in schroot is 'dpkg-buildpackage
-rfakeroot -b -uc'

> (NOTE: this takes many minutes. At the end there should be a line saying
> the build "completed.")

Only when not in schroot.  So, I'm missing something about pthreads when
in schroot.

So, I can create the packages for Disco (but not in schroot for Disco).
If others can do that for Bionic, then I'll focus my attention elsewhere.

> <<snip>>
--Steve