[GNC] Bill Date Confusion

Adrien Monteleone adrien.monteleone at lusfiber.net
Mon Oct 28 14:05:21 EDT 2019

I recall that there is at least one bug report (or a discussion in a report) about the ‘Date Opened’ being superfluous and a candidate for being removed. But I too think of it as the date you happened to create the bill to enter it in GC. I think it is in a bug about the invoice fields being non-editable in-place.

The same goes for invoices to customers. I’m not sure how much utility recording it provides, if any.

Regardless of ‘E’, all line items will be posted to your books as of ‘D’. Personally, I think an option to post as of the line-item date would have some use and remove the need for adjusting entries, but I understand why it currently works the way it does.

So if you want an item with date ‘E’ in an older period to hit your books for that older period, you would need to create an “Accrued Expenses” account, post a transaction between it and the actual expense account for that item, then when you create the bill, you set that line item against Accrued Expenses instead of the actual expense account. (because it was already recorded) This new account is a holding location to record expenses in their actual periods (staying true to the Matching Principle) and still be able to account for them on vendor bills in later periods. Sometimes, you might have to create the accrued expense transaction after the bill arrives because you don’t know the exact date or details at the time you incurred it. If this is a regular occurrence, you won’t be able to run accurate P&Ls until all affected vendor bills are in hand.

The same would work for the AR side with customers but with an Accrued Revenue account where you post as work is done, (thus revenue earned) and then later create an invoice to the customer.

‘A’ should match ‘D’ as you noted.

I’ll add an ‘F’ - GnuCash Due Date should match ‘B’ vendor’s due date.

The ‘Due Date’ (B/F) not showing on the invoice screen would be a good RFE. I think it should be there. You shouldn’t have to hunt for it.

It does show however on a printed copy. (on screen or paper)

It also shows in the AP register as well as the Bills Due Reminder.

Regards,
Adrien