[GNC] Saved Reports Disappearing

Geert Janssens geert.gnucash at kobaltwit.be
Thu Oct 31 03:42:12 EDT 2019

Op donderdag 31 oktober 2019 02:31:05 CET schreef D via gnucash-user:
> Fran,
>
> First off, what version of Gnucash, on what OS?
>
> On October 31, 2019, at 1:49 AM, Fran_3 via gnucash-user <gnucash-
user at gnucash.org> wrote:
> >1 - I began saving recent report configurations with a dash like in order
> >to distinguish them from other reports... But, some of them disappear
> >later on when I attempt to re-open them... Any ideas on what is going on?
>
> No idea. An examination of the saved-reports file might help. I know that I
> had some unknown corruption in my saved-reports file at one point, and
> numerous reports kept disappearing. I think that one of them was causing
> the file to get truncated on save, but I never did figure it out. At some
> point, I think I rebuilt all my reports from scratch.
> >2 - Where are the Saved Transaction Report Configurations saved?
>
> David C. directed you to the Wiki page for this.
>
> >3 - Is there a limit on how many Saved Transaction Report Configurations
> >you can have?
> I am pretty sure the answer is "no." Since this is just a text file, the
> drive's the limit. How Gnucash handles a large number of reports might be
> an issue, but I've never had a problem. Neither have I heard one reported
> in the last 13 years on the list.I
> >4 - Is there anyway to set where the Transaction Report Configurations are
> >saved?
> I don't believe there is, short of recompiling one in. That would require
> programming as well.

The reports will always be saved to a file named saved-reports-<revision>.
That's hard-coded. You can influence where this file is will be saved by
setting environment variable GNC_DATA_HOME. The one caveat of doing so is that
it will relocate a number of files gnucash stores to keep track of internal
state.

> >5 - Can you have each "entity" save reports in different folders?
>
> But "entity", I assume you mean different Gnucash files. Reports are stored
> by installation, so all reports will display for every file accessed by
> that installation. This has been noted and discussed over the years, and
> bug 797124 was raised recently about it. Some workarounds are: use
> different logins for different files; use naming to group your reports.I

This is not possible straight away. You may be able to write a wrapper around
the gnucash program that juggles different copies of the saved-reports file
depending on your needs. That would require a bit of scripting experience and
the discipline of always starting gnucash via the wrapper script.

Note there is currently a plan to integrate the saved reports directly into
the gnucash data file. That should make this issue go away completely. We hope
to get this in place for gnucash 4.0, but we may not make that deadline.

Regards,

Geert