[GNC] Non-expense, non-income transactions?

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Tue Sep 3 15:20:13 EDT 2019

> On Sep 3, 2019, at 12:08 PM, Roderick Anderson <raanders42 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> This might be on the edge between using GnuCash and Accounting principals.  Any help or suggestions will be appreciated.
>
> I am the Treasurer for a small 501(c)(3) with all my accounting knowledge as OJT.  Nothing formal.
>
> I am looking for suggestions on how to account for cash pulled from the checking account to be used for making change for our fund raising event and then redeposited into checking.
>
> In the past (in my ignorance) I treated it as an expense then an income.  We missed a year of the event so I figured now would be a good the time to get it right.
>
> That make any sense?

Create an account Assets:Current Assets:Cash Box and transfer whatever amount you want into it. Book all of the receipts into that account (you can batch them up if you don't feel the need to track them individually). At the end of the event the Cash Box account and the cash on hand should be the same. Your deposit back into the bank account is a simple transfer transaction just like the starting withdrawal.

Regards,
John Ralls