[GNC] Non-expense, non-income transactions?

Adrien Monteleone adrien.monteleone at lusfiber.net
Tue Sep 3 15:21:15 EDT 2019

This is common in many businesses, particularly restaurants.

Create a ‘Petty Cash’ account as a current asset account.

When you ’top off’ the Petty Cash fund, do the following:

Dr. Assets:Current Assets:Petty Cash
Cr. Assets:Current Assets:Checking

If you spend any money from the Petty Cash account, *that* would be an expense:

Dr. Expenses
Cr. Assets:Current Assets:Petty Cash

If you receive cash *that* would be revenue or ‘income’ and should be recorded in the form received. If in cash, and you are putting it in ‘Petty Cash’ then do:

Dr. Assets:Current Assets:Petty Cash
Cr. Income

If you are just holding the cash receipts separately then do:

Dr. Assets:Current Assets:Undeposited Funds
Cr. Income

And then move the money from Undeposited Funds to Checking when you make the actual deposit:

Dr. Assets:Current Assets:Checking
Cr. Assets:Current Assets:Undeposited Funds

When you deposit money from Petty Cash to Checking do:

Dr. Assets:Current Assets:Checking
Cr. Assets:Current Assets:Petty Cash

You may or may not need to separate ‘Undeposited Funds’ and ‘Petty Cash’. Usually people who use a petty cash account, keep it at a certain level at all times and top it off when it dwindles. It is primarily used for ‘run to the store’ expenses when you can’t purchase something in time from a regular vendor on an AP account.

‘Undeposited Funds’ might include checks as well as cash.

Regards,
Adrien