[GNC] Non-expense, non-income transactions?

Mike or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at comcast.net
Tue Sep 3 17:15:14 EDT 2019

On 9/3/2019 3:08 PM, Roderick Anderson wrote:
> This might be on the edge between using GnuCash and Accounting
> principals.  Any help or suggestions will be appreciated.
>
> I am the Treasurer for a small 501(c)(3) with all my accounting
> knowledge as OJT.  Nothing formal.
>
> I am looking for suggestions on how to account for cash pulled from
> the checking account to be used for making change for our fund raising
> event and then redeposited into checking.

Well "petty cash" is traditionally something slightly different <<
would have its own mini set of books >>

Question: Do you not NOW have a "cash" account? Sometimes called
"undeposited cash". For example, I do not drive to town every time a
check arrives for the organization. They might accumulate even for a
week or two till I get to the bank << it's about a 50 mile round trip >>
If you do have an undeposited cash account you could use that; after
all, you are unlikely to be depositing the day of the event.

But "cash box" or "change box" perfectly OK.

Michael D Novack