[GNC] could not obtain lock on file maybe in use some wh

Adrien Monteleone adrien.monteleone at lusfiber.net
Mon Sep 9 23:51:52 EDT 2019

> On Sep 9, 2019 w37d252, at 9:37 PM, David T. <sunfish62 at yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> Adrien,
>

> Under most circumstances in this situation, I'd agree with you that the problem was an unsuccessful exit. However, Bob clearly notes that not only does he have troubles with the load, but also with saving and backup creation. That sounds very much like some sort of permissions problem.

Yes, I misread that. (scanning too fast, sorry) Certainly, I’d agree in that case, something with permissions is likely askew.

> Bob, verify that you have full permissions for the folder in question. Also: is this folder a cloud folder, like dropbox? Sometimes remote folders cause problems. I'm sorry to be vague; I only recall that others have reported troubles on Windows with cloud-stored files. A search of the list archives might point to some further areas to investigate.

It is odd however that files on a thumb drive can be accessed but not locally as Bob noted.

My initial inclination was towards remote folders, but that tidbit threw me for a loop.

Perhaps the thumb drive is mounted with full permissions for ease of use, but the particular local folder is restricted somehow.

One other consideration, if other apps have writing/saving issues, maybe something is causing the drive to be ‘read-only’. I’ve never experienced that in Windows.

There might also be a problem with the user account.

On that note...

Bob,

Did you notice if you were in your own account or a guest account?

A guest account probably won’t give you write permission to a regular user’s files unless you’ve shared them publicly in advance, but if you installed an app for ‘all users’ you might still be able to run GnuCash.

Regards,
Adrien

p.s. - out of curiosity, are you logging into Win10 with a MS account? With a password or are you using other means of authentication? Issues with authentication *might* (I’m grasping at thin air here standing precariously on a very thin limb since I haven’t migrated my Win7 instances to Win10 yet) give you OS access and even access to apps, but not to files or write access to certain directories. Of course, I really have no idea, it is just a hunch if all else fails.