[GNC] could not obtain lock on file maybe in use some wh

David T. sunfish62 at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 9 22:37:47 EDT 2019

Adrien,

Under most circumstances in this situation, I'd agree with you that the problem was an unsuccessful exit. However, Bob clearly notes that not only does he have troubles with the load, but also with saving and backup creation. That sounds very much like some sort of permissions problem.

Bob, verify that you have full permissions for the folder in question. Also: is this folder a cloud folder, like dropbox? Sometimes remote folders cause problems. I'm sorry to be vague; I only recall that others have reported troubles on Windows with cloud-stored files. A search of the list archives might point to some further areas to investigate.

David

  On Tue, Sep 10, 2019 at 6:38, Adrien Monteleone<adrien.monteleone at lusfiber.net> wrote:   Delete the .lck files in the directory you are storing your books.

(presuming you know for a *fact*, that the data files aren’t already open in GnuCash but you just don’t see the window)

You should then be able to then open any data file.

You could also choose ‘Open-Anyway’ with the same result.

There might be several causes, but other than the most obvious (that the file really is already opened) is that the app crashed last time you were accessing that file and the .lck file was not removed due to the ‘ungraceful’ shutdown of GnuCash.

I don’t think a permissions issue would cause this, but I could be mistaken. Make sure you have full permissions on the folder you are storing the files.

Regards,
Adrien