[GNC] Assign one payment to multiple invoices (from several customers)

Mike or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at comcast.net
Thu Sep 12 09:56:17 EDT 2019

On 9/12/2019 7:40 AM, Derek Atkins wrote:
>>> Um, no, it does not appear regularly.  Indeed, this is the first time in
>>> 19 years that someone has asked about paying invoices for multiple
>>> customers with a single payment.
  I would think this situation rare, but not unheard of.

As the customer, I usually take pains NOT to put the vendor into this
situation. For example, say we are paying for magazine sub renewals for
our two oldest great grandchildren, I would write a separate check for
each invoice. But not ALWAYS. Thus when paying excise tax on our cars
(two tax invoices from the town)  I know that sometimes I have written a
single check. So we'll take that as an example. What would the town tax
collector do to enter if using gnucash?

I assume she would use her eyes and brains. See that the total of the
check matched the total due on both invoices. Then probably enter each
invoice paid for its proper amount. After all, what would be done if
there were two checks, but the check numbers had been entered manually
(as they are with counter checks and/or temporary ones for a new
account) and by accident the check number duplicated.

Michael D Novack