[GNC] Assign one payment to multiple invoices (from several customers)

Adrien Monteleone adrien.monteleone at lusfiber.net
Thu Sep 12 12:05:22 EDT 2019

As for implementation, I don’t know what behind-the-scenes looks like, but from the UI, I tried 2 methods that seemed the most logical. (but of course, don’t work)

#1 Business > Customer > Process Payment > Select
Set Customer Name > Matches Regex > “.”
Select more than one customer, then `Select`

Rather than showing only the first selected customer’s invoices as it does now, instead, you’d see all open invoices from all selected customers.

#2 Business > Customer > Find Invoice
Search for all unpaid invoices by whatever means, Invoice ID/Customer > Matches Regex > “.” works fine here too.
Select multiple invoices from different customers.
Click ‘Process Payment’ (currently greyed out when you select the second customer’s invoice)

So I don’t think the UI needs a major overhaul to accomplish it. (assuming the backend logic would allow it)

Of course, that might be terribly difficult or tedious.

First, a payment would have to go into a pool, then applied to each invoice, then any remainder assigned to the original customer. (but which one is the ‘original’ or ‘paying’ customer? that might be where some UI changes would be necessary)

As for reporting, the upcoming owner-report would be invaluable here for keeping things straight as it identifies specific payments applied to specific invoices.

Regards,
Adrien