[GNC] Bank check - debit and credit?

ornd25 at tutanota.com ornd25 at tutanota.com
Thu Sep 19 10:35:58 EDT 2019

> You left out a few details.  Is this a business expense?  Or is it something else?  In the accounting world, purpose is the driving force.
>
> If you are just concerned about the mechanics of the money flow, you would show a conversion to cash or whatever medium you used as an intermediate step. That, of course requires appropriate accounts, such as petty cash, for example.
>
> David Carlson
>
> On Thu, Sep 19, 2019 at 9:22 AM <> ornd25 at tutanota.com <mailto:ornd25 at tutanota.com>> > wrote:
>
>> How does one debit and credit for a bank check when the person/company doesn't want to accept a personal check? I usually forgo reality and just record that I sent the personal check directly to the individual, but that's not exactly what happens.

Let me expand a little. This is for personal use, such as the purchase of artwork or a service, so its purpose is not for a business. Recent examples were for repair of a vintage fountain pen or a wrist watch. The repairers asked for a bank check, so I wrote a check to the bank for cash, the bank then gave me a "bank check," which I sent to the repairer.

What are the mechanics of double entry debits and credits? If I write the check to the bank do I then have to show income to bring it back in?

As I mentioned, I ended up showing a check written to the repairer, rather than reflecting the actual purchase of a bank check.