[GNC] Bank check - debit and credit?

ornd25 at tutanota.com ornd25 at tutanota.com
Thu Sep 19 18:04:13 EDT 2019

On 9/19/2019 9:20 AM, ornd25 at tutanota.com wrote:

>> How does one debit and credit for a bank check when the person/company doesn't want to accept a personal check? I usually forgo reality and just record that I sent the personal check directly to the individual, but that's not exactly what happens.
>>

> I think this depends on how fancy you want to be. Perhaps not unrelated
> to how you enter OTHER "check" transactions for which there is no check
> number like automatic payments, one time electronic payments, etc.
>
> IF the money (for purchase  the bank check) came from the checking
> account, I'd probably treat is as a numberless check putting into the
> description column something like "bank check to......." instead of just
> the payee.
>
> Michael D Novack

Mike,

That's the way I was doing it previously, but persuaded myself that I should track it "properly." My original question meant, "I give the bank check number 527 for cash or made out to the bank for $75, so Cr Checking, Dr bank. Then they hand me a cashier's check - is that "other income?" Then I give the check to the repair service - what am I to Dr and Cr at that point.

As I said, that was my original question, and I withdraw it; I will call check number 527 "Repair Service - Bank Check." That's close enough for personal expenses. Thanks.

For what it's worth, I do "number" my electronic payments with the next paper checks in order, then I destroy the paper checks. This allows me to sort by check number and find the payment, though I do add in Notes: "ePay - numbered for convenience." Then I add the pseudo numbers to the balance statement.