[GNC] OFX import for Multiple Visa

David Cousens davidcousens at bigpond.com
Tue Sep 24 20:23:27 EDT 2019

Kevin

This is because the OFX standard format is used both in files downloaded
from your bank and then imported into GNuCash and downloaded directly online
using the AQbanking connections from your bank without ever being stored
explicitly on your hard drive ( maybe as a tmp file which is deleted
automatically after processing). GnuCash only has one assignment of Account
Ids to GnuCash accounts and that is handled in the Aqbanking setup. AFAIK at
present there is no way to edit the accountid-gnucash assignments outside of
that setup. When my credit card number changed after a fraud attempt I coped
with it by creating a new account, and importing data for the new card. In
Australia banks do not usually provide direct online access to customers

At my bank the  card number was used as the account ID in the OFX download
so the new account was then associated with the new card in the downloads. I
placed both the old account and the new one under a Credit card placeholder
account so that both. When the old card was deactivated the existing
balance was simply transferred to my new card by the bank so I created a
transaction which did that and all is fine. The old account will appear in
reports or you can filter it out if you no longer need to see it.

There were some complications around fraudulent transactions while these
were investigated and resolved by the bank which required some adjustments
to the balance as they were resolved. As my bank had acknowledged that the
fraudulent use of the account was not my fault,  I expected the fraudulent
amounts to be fully refunded so I created a temporary clearing account and
transferred the full balance excluding the fraudulent transactions (these
were shown in downloads for my old card account) to the new account. I
created  transactions to the clearing account for the fraudulent
transactions instead of to an expense account and then reversing
transactions to the old account as the bank notified me of their resolution
(appropriately annotated).

David Cousens

-----
David Cousens