[GNC] Credit card account with two cards

Adrien Monteleone adrien.monteleone at lusfiber.net
Wed Sep 25 12:20:07 EDT 2019

> On Sep 25, 2019 w39d268, at 8:49 AM, Derek Atkins <derek at ihtfp.com> wrote:
>

> On Wed, September 25, 2019 9:36 am, Mike or Penny Novack wrote:
>>

>> This is actually a significant issue for the business version of gnucash
>> because this is exactly how business/organization credit card account
>> work. Authorized individuals have their own cards, and the statement
>> shows use by cards, but the total amount shows under the master account
>> (and that is the one to which payments are made).
>
> Nope, this is handled by Employee Expense Vouchers.  If you have an
> employee card, when you enter an expense you can mark it as Cash or Card,
> which dictates whether to reimburse the employee or put it on a
> (corporate) credit card.

I might be missing something, but I’m reading that Mike is referencing the example of corporate card, not expenses paid by an employee that is to be reimbursed. The company pays the card -always. A family business I used to work for had this for several cards. The business had multiple owners/manages with cards having their own names but identical digits. (some banks instead issue cards that have different digits, but still technically the same account) There was no reimbursement issue. It was simply for convenience and tracking as opposed to having one physical card.

> Multiple employees can "share" the CC account.
>
> This doesn't really help the non-biz case.  For the OP I think the answer
> is subaccounts.  You and spouse have subaccounts of the master CC acct.
> When you reconcile you can click the check-box for the top-level CC to
> include subaccounts so you can reconcile the whole shebang.

That is what they are doing already but noted that the Reconcile window doesn’t display the sub-account for each transaction. They are just all lumped together. So if you are also needing to make sure you entered them in the right sub-account, you have to do that prior to hitting that Reconcile button.

Regards,
Adrien