[GNC] Unable to modify existing database

Stan Brown the_stan_brown at fastmail.fm
Wed Sep 25 13:25:04 EDT 2019

Usually "unable to obtain a lock" means that the previous instance of
GnuCash crashed or was force-stopped. But you say that didn't happen,
and if it had then you would not get the "unable to create a backup"
error when trying to save the file.

That error suggests that for some reason you do not have the ability to
write to the directory (in Windows, "folder") where your main GnuCash
data file lives. It could be a permissions problem,  or it could be that
the disk is full -- anything that prevents files from being written.

If my analysis is right, you get "unable to obtain the lock" because
GnuCash is unable to create the .lck file -- again pointing to
permissions problem in that directory or folder.

Stan Brown
Tompkins County, New York, USA
https://BrownMath.com
http://OakRoadSystems.com