[GNC] Credit card account with two cards

Derek Atkins derek at ihtfp.com
Wed Sep 25 13:53:46 EDT 2019

Hi,

On Wed, September 25, 2019 12:47 pm, Mike or Penny Novack wrote:
> On 9/25/2019 9:49 AM, Derek Atkins wrote:
>
>> Nope, this is handled by Employee Expense Vouchers. If you have
>> anemployee card, when you enter an expense you can mark it as Cash or
>> Card,which dictates whether to reimburse the employee or put it on
>> a(corporate) credit card. Multiple employees can "share" the CC account.
>
> You have described YOUR business/organization.

No, I have described how GnuCash handles employee credit cards within the
Business features.  This was in response to your statement that GnuCash
cannot do it.  I'll note that this has nothing to do with my
business/organization, but rather this is just a statement of how to enter
these kinds of transactions into GnuCash:  It's handled through the
"Employee Expense Voucher" interfaces.

>    I assure you that there
> are others (including one for which I am treasurer) that work the way I
> described. The treasurer (or in a large organization, somebody working
> for the treasurer) would examine the statements to see if expenses
> charged were authorized/reasonable. No "vouchers" involved*. Of course
> can also pay for things with their own funds/cards and submit receipts
> for reimbursement.

You're talking about the process, which is different than (and IMHO
orthogonal to) the way that GnuCash wants it to be entered into the
system.

> The last line in what you said, what do you mean by "share card"? Isn't
> that what we have been talking about? There is a master account (the
> "corporate" account) which has an account number but no cards, and then
> a number of cards for individuals each with an account number but tied
> to the master account. The statement shows a total for the master
> account (items on it would be the totals from each subsidiary account)
> and then each subsidiary account showing its transactions for the period.

I did not say "Share card"  I said "share the CC account".  Yes, indeed,
it is EXACTLY what we've been talking about.

My reply was to your statement that "GnuCash cannot handle this."  I
wanted to point out that yes, GnuCash CAN handle it, and this is how to
enter it into the system, using the Employee Expense Voucher interface
with items being "Card" (instead of Cash).

> But this is NOT just for business. My wife and I have individual
> cards/numbers but these get combined into a master statement giving the
> total  BUT there is also a part that shows each card transaction grouped
> under that card number, the charge transactions on my card completely
> separate from the ones on hers.

Sure.  And my wife is an authorized user of one of my credit cards and, as
a result, has her own -- but the bill is consolidated.

For a non-biz use case I don't know that the "expense voucher" is the
right solution.  It's a very heavy-weight operation to keep track of his
vs hers transactions.  However, it *WOULD* let me keep track of it, which
is contrary to your statement that GnuCash cannot do it.

> Michael D Novack

       Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745