[GNC] OFX import for Multiple Visa

incoming-gnucash at sabot.com incoming-gnucash at sabot.com
Wed Sep 25 16:46:16 EDT 2019

On this topic:

   The import was successful but the transactions were put into the old VISA
   account instead of GnuCash asking me what account they should go to.
   Maybe this is a developer question but how does GC know what account to put
   the transactions into?
   Which brings me back to a question I asked previously about resetting the
   OFX import to GC account mapping.

I have one possible workaround that I have used (albeit with version
2.6) to change the OFX-to-gnucash-account mapping in situation like
that: First, create a backup of your gnucash file, just in case.  Then
create a temporary account, call it "placeholder".  Give it properties
just like the old VISA account that is unfortunately getting all your
new transactions.  Then on the VISA account, click to Delete Account.
Gnucash will then ask you if you want to move the transactions into
some other account instead of losing them.  Go ahead and move them to
the "placeholder" account and allow it to delete the (empty) visa
account.  Now rename "placeholder" to be "VISA".

After all those gymnastics, you are pretty much back where you
started, i.e. should still have your old VISA data just as it was
before.  But next time you import OFX transactions, they won't go to
VISA: instead gnucash will ask the (one time) questions about where
they should go, and it sets up a new mapping accordingly.

--gary