[GNC] Relocating user specific application data to another directory

Adrien Monteleone adrien.monteleone at lusfiber.net
Fri Sep 27 21:14:55 EDT 2019

To be clear, that variable is not for your accounting books, (user data files) that is for things like user prefs, CSS or .ini based UI customizations and saved report configurations.

If all you want to do is move your data file, just move it. And since you are on Windows, you get the luxury (I’m pretty sure) of just double-clicking the data file once from the new location to open it and then GnuCash will look for it in this new location from there on out.

In a worst, case, you’ll need to do a File > Open and navigate to the new location, though, I’m also pretty sure that a File > Save As (and then delete the old copy) would probably accomplish the same.

If however, you are truly intending to migrate your config stuff to some other location than the default, that *might* involve messing with environment variables.

That would be GNC_CONFIG_HOME in that case, if I understand the wiki correctly.

Regards,
Adrien