[GNC] Relocating user specific application data to another directory

Stan Brown the_stan_brown at fastmail.fm
Sat Sep 28 08:17:40 EDT 2019

On 2019-09-27 21:14, Adrien Monteleone wrote:
> If all you want to do is move your data file, just move it. And since
> you are on Windows, you get the luxury (I’m pretty sure) of just
> double-clicking the data file once from the new location to open it
> and then GnuCash will look for it in this new location from there on
> out.
You're 100% correct, Adrien. I'm on Windows and do this regularly.

It's also possible in Windows to "pin " a data file to the start menu,
so that you don't even have to navigate to it to double-click it. That
is what I do, because I have three data files (2001-2010, 2010-2017,
2018-present).

However, if the OP has only one data file, there's no reason to pin it.
He can just close GC, move the data file as you suggested, then
double-click it. GC remembers the most-recently-used file in its new
location, so next time he opens GC it will automatically open the file
for him.

Stan Brown
Tompkins County, New York, USA
https://BrownMath.com