[GNC] Can not insert text on transaction after import QIF

David Cousens davidcousens at bigpond.com
Sat Sep 28 19:50:42 EDT 2019

David,

The problem with Synaptic particularly with Linux Mint since it is tied to
an even earlier Ubuntu version than even the current Ubuntu distrbutions and
that it is often lagging the actual development cycle for packages
considerably (not only for GnuCash but many other packages). It does have
the advantage of stability against unfixed bugs missing improvements.

I haven't had your experience of cmake spraying files everywhere. The files
it creates are confined to the build directory and subdirectories before
installation which is its major advantage. The installation step is the only
one in which files are moved elsewhere in the directory structure and then
only to the locations mentioned previously. Autotools would have done the
same thing. The locations are a function of the installation requirements
for Linux to have operation without having to include everything in PATH
variables explicitly, rather than GnuCash related.

Steve Butler maintains .deb files for GnuCash which will install with the
gdebi installer in Linux just by clicking on the .deb file. I'm sure there
is a version for Ubuntu Bionic which is the Ubuntu version Linux MInt 19.x
is based on. This should install to the locations we discussed earlier. I
don't know if Steve set it up to install under /usr/local  or just
$HOME/.local.   You will find links to these in the mailing list archives.
On some of the versions whcih install using a sandbox to isolate the app
there have been problems accessing system resources which require
configuration of the packaging system e.g Flatpak, Snap etc. No experience
with kitware.

David Cousens

-----
David Cousens