[GNC] Using Gnucash for a church; keeping track of contributions

Eric H. Bowen eric at ehbowen.net
Sun Sep 29 09:28:10 EDT 2019

I've been using Gnucash for my personal books for a year now so I've
started to become somewhat familiar with it; now I'm wanting to
recommend it to our small church (we're still keeping books by hand).
Expenses is not a problem; our manual chart of accounts fits in very
nicely with the structure of Gnucash. My challenge is on the other end:
Contributions. We typically get members who will contribute, say, $100
to the church budget, $50 to a missions offering, and $10 to some
special project on one $160 check, and these checks are then deposited
as one lump into the bank the next business day.

I do get the use of split transactions, just not exactly sure as how to
best structure them in order to keep track of each member's individual
contributions, both undesignated and designated, while at the same time
minimizing the workload of the finance committee...for many of whom
"high-tech" means a mechanical pencil!

Oh, while I'm thinking about it...our church participates in the
"cooperative program", where we pledge a percentage of our undesignated
receipts to denominational causes, which is then paid quarterly or so.
Works similar to the "sales tax payable" liability account I have set up
for my personal video business. I'm asking for suggestions to "automate"
the tracking of these percentage amounts, again in order to minimize
workload.

--

--------Eric H. Bowen
eric at ehbowen.net <mailto:eric at ehbowen.net>