[GNC] Using Gnucash for a church; keeping track of contributions

Greg Feneis mfeneis at gmail.com
Sun Sep 29 10:33:38 EDT 2019

Perhaps you could use GnuCash's business elements, where you can set up
customers and jobs, and receive payments for various jobs.  I'm thinking
for your church, the church would be the customer, and you could set up
various church projects as jobs.  Church budget could be one job, a
particular mission could be another job, a special project could be thought
of as another job.  When a payment is received, the bookkeeper generates an
invoice against what job (church project) the payment is for and be sure to
make the line item(s)' descriptions in the invoice "donation", then
immediately use GnuCash's pay invoice function to record the receipt of the
money.  If the church is a non-profit organization, perhaps print the
invoice, mark it paid and mail it to the donor in case they track their
donations for tax purposes.

The issue with this is that it's a little tricky to apply a single check
payment to multiple jobs.  I've read about this being an issue in the
recent past.

I'm not an accountant and this is not professional accounting advice.  Just
an idea of a direction you could take.

Kind regards,

Greg Feneis