[GNC] Australian Foreign Investments Taxation

Ben Stanley ben.stanley at gmail.com
Mon Apr 6 09:08:17 EDT 2020

Hello Gnucash people,

This question may be more suited to Gnucash developers, but lets try it
here first.

I need to perform a tax calculation in accordance with instructions from
the Australian Taxation Office. All foreign income, deductions and
foreign tax paid must be converted to Australian Dollars for tax purposes.

https://www.ato.gov.au/Business/International-tax-for-business/In-detail/Investing-overseas/Converting-foreign-income-to-Australian-dollars/

The conversion used must correspond to the transaction date.

In Gnucash, it would appear that the price editor could be used to enter
the necessary conversion data, if it were easy to see all of the dates
where conversions are required. However, this is tedious.

Far better would be to use Finance::Quote to fetch the necessary
conversion data for the dates it is required for. However, it seems that
Finance::Quote is only capable of fetching "recent" data. (The
documentation that I looked at seemed to be very old.)

http://finance-quote.sourceforge.net/documentation.html

What is needed is the ability to pass a date, or a range of dates, and
request Finance::Quote to fetch prices for that date or date interval.
This would make Finance::Quote far more useful than just fetching the
most recent price data.

Is there some feature in Gnucash that I have missed that would allow me
to generate a report, with dividends and Capital Gains converted from
USD -> AUD using the currency conversion as at the transaction dates?

Thanks,
Ben Stanley.