[GNC] Starting Balance in Reconciliation Window wrong

David Carlson david.carlson.417 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 9 20:59:56 EDT 2020

Some users like me did a lot of mis-managed reconciling while importing old
data into currently used accounts and just reconciling years of
transactions as of the current month instead of trying to obsessively go
back years and assign the transactions to years-old statements, especially
when reconcile dates cannot be viewed in the UI.  While I doubt that we
would want to correct those old transactions, if reconcile dates would
somehow become visible sometime in the future, we might need to
occasionally find and fix some transactions here and there, especially if
they had been re-reconciled to the wrong month after an edit erroneously
un-reconciled them.

On Thu, Apr 9, 2020 at 7:30 PM David Cousens <davidcousens at bigpond.com>
wrote:

> David T.
>
> Yes I did correct and eliminate the problem by editing the data file
> directly and I also agree this is not really viable for the average user. I
> only had one incorrectly entered date in one account and for users who have
> many years of data the situation could be considerably more complex. I also
> had external information about when I had performed past reconcilaitions so
> my fix was a simple search and replace once I had verified that it was a
> single reconciliation date and the splits which were incorrect agreed with
> the date I suspected should have been entered.
>
> I made some suggestions in the DEV forum in response to Chris's options for
> a way forward by making the feature optional which may allow the feature to
> be retained but switched off by default in preexisting datafiles and only
> switched on by default in new data files that may allow retention of the
> feature with no disruption for user's with files which may have wrong past
> reconciliation dates. It obviously depends on how easy the changes needed
> implement that are.
>
> Another user has raised a separate issue which seems to be associated with
> different startup of the reconciliation process automatically when using
> AQbanking to import balances which may or may not be related. He has raised
> a separate bug report and I have closed the one I raised as resolved.
>
> David Cousens
>

> -----
> David Cousens
> --