[GNC] Export & Import Account tree for a new file

Adrien Monteleone adrien.monteleone at lusfiber.net
Mon Apr 20 07:06:56 EDT 2020

This also works:

1. File > Export > Account Tree to CSV
2. New File
3. Cancel the New Account wizard (not intuitive, there should be an option to import here, but there isn’t)
4. File > Import > Accounts from CSV
5. Step through the import dialog
6. Fix any book preferences in the next dialog
7. See that you have an empty book with the same account tree

The result of my method is that you get a tree as an export and you import it into a fresh file. You can name the exported tree whatever you like.

The difference with using the ‘Accounts’ export rather than ‘Account Tree’ export is that the result is a .gnucash file in XML, which *is* your new file. (no need to import) So you’ll either want to be more careful when naming it, or else have to rename it when you are done.

There might be other differences.

Regards,
Adrien