[GNC] Open two files at once

Robert Kesterson robertk at robertk.com
Fri Apr 24 11:12:58 EDT 2020

On MacOS, to run two instances simultaneously, open the first one in the
usual way, then for the second, open a shell and type:
     open -n /Applications/Gnucash.App your_data_file.gnucash

That assumes Gnucash is in the Applications folder.  Change
“your_data_file.gnucash” to the real path to the data file you want
to open in the second instance.  If you don’t specify that,  it will
try to open the last open file, which is already open in the first
instance.  That will give you an error about the file being locked,
which you have to cancel and then load the file you wanted for the
second instance instead.  Giving the filename on the command line avoids
that problem.

You can also make a script to do this so you don’t have to drop to the
shell every time.  I set up quick launch workflows in Alfred for mine so
it just takes couple of keystrokes to launch whatever set of books I
need, and they can all be open at once.